Logic in Semantic Universals (2022-2025) is a 4-year project funded by the UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship. The goal of the project is to uncover what underlies cross-linguistic generalisations in the semantics of logical vocabularies by bringing together theoretical and methodological insights from formal semantics and evolutionary linguistics.
- Wataru Uegaki, Principal Investigator
- Anne Mucha, Postdoctoral Fellow
- James Engels, Research Assistant
- Fred Whibley, Research Assistant
- Jennifer Culbertson (Edinburgh)
- Mora Maldonado (Nantes)
- Antonella Sorace (Edinburgh)
- Shane Steinert-Threlkeld (Washington)
- Jakub Szymanik (Trento)
- Malte Zimmermann (Potsdam)
- Uegaki, Wataru, Anne Mucha, Nathaniel Imel, & Shane Steinert-Threlkeld. under review. Deontic priority in the lexicalization of impossibility modals. [Preprint]
- Mucha, Anne, James Engels, Fred Whibley, & Wataru Uegaki. upcoming. Negative modality in Hausa, Thai and Kîîtharaka. TripleA 10, Potsdam.
- Uegaki, Wataru, Anne Mucha, James Engels & Fred Whibley. upcoming. Negative modals cross-linguistically. Talk at Workshop on modality in underdescribed languages: Methods & insights, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.
- Maldonado, Mora, Jennifer Culbertson, & Wataru Uegaki, 2022. Learnability and constraints on the semantics of clause-embedding predicates. Proceedings of Cognitive Science Society annual meeting (CogSci) 2022. [Preprint DOI]
- Uegaki, Wataru. 2022. The informativeness/complexity trade-off in the domain of Boolean connectives. Linguistic Inquiry [DOI]